Thursday, February 18, 2010

A bit of a break


I’ve finished all the evaluations at school – almost 60!!  Now I’m on to writing results and recommendation for parents.  I have a one-page limit because of printing costs, and we’re asking the parents to pay.  In some ways this makes it easier for me, but in other ways more difficult and limiting.  I’ve created some picture diagrams to help explain things, so all in all, I think the parents will get the information that they need.  The writing’s not as bad as I expected – once I have a basic template for each disability, I can just tailor it to each student and her level.  And after so many long days at the school, it’s nice to have some quite time to myself to write:)

At the school, almost all of the deaf students are girls.  The other classes have more boys than girls, but not the deaf classes.  When working in Madrid, I only worked with boys.  Strange that it’s so different here….I can’t figure it out.  Are the boys not sent to school?  Is there another, better school, that they attend?  I wonder if they’re at the Philippine School for the Deaf…  I think I will be visiting, so I’ll check it out.  Otherwise, I will have to ask about that at Commonwealth next week. 

Gender relations are interesting here – it seems like there’s a tradition of the superiority of men, but it’s also changing as needed.  I was told how when Ocaboy was born, he was spoiled by everyone because he was the first grandson in large family.  His mom specified “boy.”  Another women couldn’t go to a meeting because her husband wouldn’t let her (at least that’s the reason I heard).  On the other hand, in the Philippines, the eldest child usually helps the parents financially with the younger children, such as paying for school.  This seems to be for both men and women though!  And there are many, many fathers who accompany their children to school each day.  I do remember reading in my research that both parents help raising kids as needed.  In this family here, the father worked from home and watched the kids while the mother worked outside of the home.   Just some observations!

Speaking of research, I learned before I came that in schools throughout the country, classes are taught in English and Filipino, not the child’s native language.  This has posed many setbacks for the children and the schools are not doing well.  But, it appears that in 2011, the language of instruction will be switched over to the local dialects.  I think this will be good for the students to at least be able to learn in their own language – they will have their native language Kinder-3rd grade, and then English as well after 4th grade.  But who knows, I guess we’ll see the results after many years.

Every person seems to have a family member abroad!  The most popular places I’ve heard are Maryland, California and Sweden.  I hear again and again that all of the Special Ed. Teachers and Speech Language Pathologists have gone to work abroad.  One boy I saw had an SLP until October, when she went abroad.  Now there’s no one to take her place.  The SPED teachers I’m working with are asking me how they can go to work abroad, even with limited English proficiency.  (A bit jokingly) They do seem to understand that where they are needed most is in the Philippines though.   I wonder if that’s a tough decision, knowing that you are needed at home, but having the opportunity to live and make much more money abroad. 

I went to Camp Pag-Ibig last Sunday, where SPED students from all over Quezon City spent the day, doing general camp activities.  The night before, there was a Valentine’s Day Party for the teachers, which I attended.  I was called up by someone important (I have met far too many important people from the school district, I can’t remember their names or titles!) and recognized for the work I am doing.  She then encouraged everyone to spread the word abroad that Quezon City schools would love volunteers.  She also stressed that as former SPED teachers return from work abroad, they should be encouraged to come and share what they have learned.  I really like that one – I’m sure there’s so much they can offer as they know the Philippine system but also have further, outside experience. 

Camp was hilarious – I had people coming from every direction to take pictures with me.  So many older women too!  Once one person stood next to me for a photo, 5 more would jump in.   Even in line for the bathroom! I asked them to take pictures with my camera too at first, but then it got a little out of hand so I just stood and smiled.  As you’ll see in the photo here, I’m also a head taller than everyone else, so I’m sure there are some pretty funny looking pictures!

Ok, well back to writing evaluations.   I will be back at Commonwealth Elementary next Tuesday-Thursday to meet with parents and give the evaluation results.  I’m trying to keep my language simple and easy to understand without making parents feel stupid.  It’d be so nice to be able to translate everything into Tagalog:)  Oh well, I just have to work with what I have!

Picture time as soon as I arrived at Camp - teachers from Commonwealth Elementary, and the principal is the man next to me.  I feel a bit tall...

No comments:

Post a Comment